Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rant: The Boy Who Won't Go Away

By Writer Numero 2


Let’s give a short intro to this…"A" and I dated on and off for 2 and a half years.  I met him at OSU through a mutual friend.  He was in Pharmacy school at the time and now he’s finishing up his degree at OHSU.  We were never “officially together” because he could never “offer me enough time,” because he was too focused on school blablabla.  Things were always great during winter, spring and summer breaks…then a midterm would come along and all of a sudden I didn’t exist, or he would get really frustrated with a test and he needed space.  The last straw was Valentines Day ’09.  So I applied to grad school in Arizona and here I am.  As soon as I left, though he started to “miss me.”  I would get text messages or IM’s on Friday nights...without fail “I kinda miss you.  I kinda wish circumstances were different sometimes.”  Oh that’s nice to hear 1,400 miles later.  Here are some other text conversations we've had:

 A: Sorry to wake you up.  Just wanted to say that despite the number of people I meet it still reminds me of all the things I liked about you.  Call me tomorrow if you get a chance.
Me: That’s a really shitty way of telling me you miss me, dummy.
A: Well it sounded more romantic in my head.
 ----------------
A: I legit miss you a lot.  Hit me up sometime when you get a chance.
Me: “Legit miss me?”
A: Legit
Me: Ok so why do you legit miss me tonight?
A: I don’t know wedding and couples I guess
Me: If only you went to more weddings when I was still around…
A: Do you still ever think about the idea of us?
Me: Try not to.  What do you think about?
A: I dunno I just see all this people being young and in love and getting and married and stuff and I kinda get jealous and think if there was anyone that could be me with it would be you.
Me: Me? Not all the people you’ve been “meeting”
A: You don’t have to be so sarcastic with me but ya I said it.  I guess sometimes I get flashes of how short life is and regardless of circumstances I want people to know they are important to me….I kinda feel like we might owe us a chance again sometime if we are ever in the same place.

By "if we are ever in the same place" he is so subtly implying that I come back to Oregon because he has a contract with Walgreens in Portland...  Never ceases to amaze me.  Wouldn't it be lovely to get a text saying “Hey, I’m sorry I fucked up so bad, you deserve better—good luck to you” or “I’m sending you a semi-truck filled with water to represent the tears you’ve cried over my sorry ass that I’m giving back to you.”  Nope, it’s always “I miss you, when are you coming back?”  Sometimes for the hell of it I’ll ask “When are you coming to visit…?” and his response is “Well my rotation doesn’t really give me a break”  Oh funny because it sounds like they give him a couple days off to get drunk at a wedding to text the one that got away.  Am I taking crazy pills?  Is this his idea of romance?

Ok, I know he should be cut off for good.  But let's face it: his weekly texts that so conveniently arrive on a friday or saturday night when he's intoxicated are so amusing.  "I legit miss you..." w. t . f .

No comments:

Post a Comment